LTO Links #311

FEC Signs Off On Google Spam Fix

Learn. Test. Optimize.

Issue #311 |


Fight over online political ads heats up ahead of midterms

"The conflict highlights how little has been resolved over how online political ads should be tracked and how outside groups can be allowed to keep tabs on digital advertising spend that is estimated to hit $1.3 billion during the midterm election cycle."


Why I'm Investing in Unified, a New Social Networking App for Organizers

"Most political technology tools and companies see campaigns and organizations as their primary targets, and the successful ones have thrived by helping those customers do a better job of raising money, targeting voters, testing messages, mass marketing and the like."


Inbox beware: Federal watchdog approves Google program to let campaigns skip spam filters

"The Federal Election Commission, the nation’s chief campaign finance watchdog agency, gave its blessing to a program proposed by Google on Thursday that will effectively allow federal campaigns and other political committees to bypass spam filters and land in the inbox of Gmail users. The commission, in a 4-1 vote, said that Google’s program would not amount to an impermissible contribution to the committees, clearing the way for the search giant to implement the program should it so choose."


There’s one key to fundraising in a downturn, and you either have it or you don’t

"The real success factor for non-profit and advocacy fundraising in a recession is having deep, personal, authentic relationships with donors who sincerely believe in your cause and — this is the real difference — will sacrifice to support your cause."

How politicians are fundraising off the FBI search at Mar-a-Lago

"On the left, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is promoting a “But Her Emails” merch line from her super PAC Onward Together. The $32 “But Her Emails” dad hat and a $29 ringer tee already sold out."

Social Media

Were Facebook and Twitter Consistent in Labeling Misleading Posts During the 2020 Election?

"In our study, we find that Facebook and Twitter were mostly consistent in how they applied their rules. For 69 percent of the misleading claims, Facebook consistently labeled each post that included one of those claims—either always or never adding a label. It inconsistently labeled the remaining 31 percent of misleading claims. The findings for Twitter are nearly identical: 70 percent of the claims were labeled consistently, and 30 percent were labeled inconsistently."

Teens, Social Media and Technology 2022

"This study also explores the frequency with which teens are on each of the top five online platforms: YouTube, TikTok, Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook. Fully 35% of teens say they are using at least one of them “almost constantly.”"


Tech and Elections Over the Last 20 Years

"This is why I’m so excited to share a new database today that I’ve done in conjunction with my work at the Bipartisan Policy Center and the Integrity Institute. Thanks to the help of John Hill - a researcher I found through Upwork - Collier Fernekes and Lia Joseph at the Bipartisan Policy Center and the members of the Integrity Institute we’ve created a collection of public links we could find to tech company announcements about their work on elections going back to 2003. It’s updated as of a few days ago with a little over 400 links covering nearly 50 companies."